Marts and Lundy Records, 1926-1992


Accession A93-23
10 Rolls of Microfilm
Filmed March 1993 by Archival Survival Inc., Elmsford, New York
The Marts and Lundy Inc. records have been microfilmed as part of the Philanthropy Archives Project of the Department of Special Collections and Archives at Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis. The filming has been made possible by a grant from the Indiana University Center on Philanthropy on behalf of the Lilly Endowment, Inc. and other donors.


Table of Contents


Restrictions

  1. Microfilm may not be reproduced without the written permission of the Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives, Indiana University - Purdue University, Indianapolis, University Library, 755 W. Michigan St., Indianapolis, IN 46202-5195, telephone: (317) 274-0464.
  2. Minutes less than ten years old may be used only with the written permission of Marts and Lundy, Inc.

History

Marts and Lundy, Inc. is one of the country's oldest fund raising firms. The firm was founded in 1926 by Arnaud C. Marts and George Lundy, both of whom had worked in YMCA and United War Fund campaigns during the 1910s, and had joined the firm started by fund raising pioneer Charles Sumner Ward in the early 1920s. The firm has been based in the New York City area since its founding, but its list of client consist of thousands of colleges, churches, hospitals and other non-profit organizations from throughout the country.


Return to the Table of Contents.

Description of Records Filmed

Series I: Staff Conference Records, 1945-1990.

This series includes papers or outline sketches given at the firm's conferences, complete transcripts of the proceedings through the 1960s, and statistical information about the firm correlating with trends in the field. Correspondence, memoranda, and newsclippings are included with sample case studies in the material from the 1980s.

Series II: Newsletters.

The firm's newsletter Financing Philanthropy, was first published in 1926. It contains a listing of campaigns then in progress, campaign publicity material, letters to the editor, and staff change notices. The firm quit publishing it in 1971. In 1973, Marts and Lundy started a new newsletter entitled Counsel. The focus of the newsletter expanded to national issues and trends in fund raising practices, with full-length feature articles on governmental legislation and successful funding techniques.

Series III: Campaign Statistics.

This series contains statistical data concerning church campaigns, 1952-1962, including subscription amounts, expenses, percentage of participation, percentage of objective reached, and breakdown of report meetings. The convocation and campaign meeting attendance rate figures indicate the campaign's impact at the community level. The same statistical analysis is presented in the college campaign section, 1955-1967. Campaign data for small, private schools such as Bates College in Lewiston, Maine are given, as well as for a few larger state schools, like the University of South Carolina.

Last updated by bburk on 02/28/2009