Indianapolis South Side Turners Records, 1893-1956

Need to order an image?

In 1893 members of the Indianapolis German-American community living on the south side of Indianapolis broke away from the Indianapolis Socialer Turnverein to form the Indianapolis South Side Turners. This organization stressed physical fitness and the preservation of German culture and was a social and cultural center for German-Americans in the southern part of the city. In 1900 the South Side Turners built their hall, equipped with a gymnasium and meeting rooms, at 306 Prospect Street. The group sold the building in 1977 and today is based in German Park on South Meridian Street. These photographs are part of the Indianapolis South Side Turners Records held by the IUPUI University Library Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives.

This project was funded in part by the Hoyt-Reichmann Chair in German-American Studies.

 Prize Winning Athletic Club with Curt Toll, 1900.
This collection is powered by CONTENTdm ®
Last updated by bburk on 07/15/2013